What an intense week! We all worked hard during the day and most of us stayed in the studio til after 9 every night. Dan was generous with his time, coming back in after hours to help everyone or just hang out with us. Here are the books that I did, some of Dan's and some of the other students'.
My 4 X 6" book, with papers that I had decorated in advance:
The same book, open from the front, showing the papers:
Cover of my other wooden board book:
Both covers and spine sewing:
Detail of window, covered with mica and tiny brass nails:
Detail of back cover. Notice the crackled wood treatment. I made the tiny scroll myself, including the carved dowels, using an actual power tool!
Detail of the headband sewing, which was one of the most difficult things that we did:
Inside back cover with marbled paper under a circle of mica:
Inside front cover:
The tiny book that I started on the first day, finished off with a headband stitch:
Two covers not attached to a text block yet:
These two books are examples of Dan's. The top one is about 4 X 5" with blank pages. This is a detail of the spine, the stitching, the colorful way that he dyes the covers and the inset with the shells. Most of his books look like this.
This book is a sample showing the kinds of things we could do to the covers ou our books -- the inset windows, the mica shapes sewn in, the little pillow-shaped insets on the bottom right.
Damon McIntyre's book:
Patty's book:It was a great workshop and I am so glad that I was able to attend. From a calligrapher's point of view, it was wonderful to understand this structure better. I can imagine books filled with lettering done this way. I definitely came away with ideas for future projects.