Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More art from grad school

Since I started school mid-year, I felt a bit behind. Everyone kept telling me that one's first semester is for experimentation. So, this is me experimenting! These pieces are on watercolor paper with gesso and gouache.  They were all done over older unfinished pieces.  For the last several years I have been operating under the motto "use what you have." That includes using up old practice pieces, fragments of journals, and discarded scraps of paper.  My process is intuitive, with a lot of things happening spontaneously and unpredictably. It is fun, but it is a lot harder than it looks. The wonderful thing about using gesso is that if something doesn't look good, you can always go over it with another layer of gesso. 






1 comment:

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Oh my goodness, I am in love with all of these--I must give this a try--

These abstract pieces are way harder than actually painting something realistically in my opinion.